Monday, October 17, 2022

Orange You Glad It's Fall?

Photo by SnaggleTooth Oct 2022
 

Here are some pretty leaves I collected from the trip last week-end. Playing with the images will have to wait awhile longer. At least I can find the pic later. Wish this input stuff wasn't so laborious.  Leaves here in SouthEaastern MA aren't changing much yet. Usually happens the first week of November. Many small trees, mostly Maple, have turned early, and colors are a bit muted, due to the prolonged drought here this year, despite recent rain. 

My next step with the pretty leaves is to send them USPS to the Nursing home of an old townee friend no longer local enough to visit. Nevermind that visiting wasn't even allowed during all of 2020 and most of '21... 

Last year I spent 2 long summer months calling and searching for him. His in-town facility was shut down in June 2021, and all the residents relocated elsewhere. I found out after the fact in the newspaper.  No one was ever contacted to say where he was going to. His only son contacted me via FB messenger in a panic because he couldn't find him! The only way to find out was to call all the facilities one by one. There are alot of them in Eastern MA. I have a good 10 pages of places to call listed my hand-written  notebook from many online searches. I ran out of listed places to call, and almost gave up. 

Then I spoke to my older daughter, who works desk at a Cape hospital, and she asked on one of her groups on FB if any nurses knew where he went. One got back to her, and had the name of a place I had called who had another unit I was never referred to. Some places on my list said I had to call and ask every floor separately. Many have several units.

So I found him, a few towns over, but they wouldn't let me speak to him! Well, mind you, he is 88 years old about to be 89 soon. Maybe he has trouble seeing and hearing, or communicating. He had just been cut off from everyone he knew for almost 2 years, and paraplegic. I ended up just writing him cards every few months, and a sent a few little presents, like a Dollar Tree solar Hula girl that danced. I know it made him smile. 

I have known this guy from the first week I moved here, back when I was married and pregnant with my first child. He and his wife were always good to me. They loved having dogs. We gave each other rides when the other had issues with vehicles. He did Blogger for awhile too.  His wife passed away too early, and we hung out at times throughout the years until his accident which got him into nursing care. I was so upset when I had lost track of him, and so relieved to find he survived the pandemic. Many in his place died from it. 

His Son finally got a phone and got to speak with him again. It is too bad he is inaccessible on public transit from here. Hope he smiles at the card full of leaves...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where have I Been?

  I am still here, just took a BIG Blogging break.  I followed my blog link recently posted on fb and to my big surprise found a couple comm...